Over the past few years, visual arts have taken over a significant – place in the art market. The art market is growing leaps and bounds not only overseas but also in the domestic scenario. To welcome such rich and bountiful culture, art festivals play a major role by providing a platform. These art festivals play a significant part in bringing together all art lovers from different walks of life to converse, share, understand and appreciate art – in all forms.
To commemorate the visual art form, ART CHENNAI brings home an annual weeklong fixture representing the best of modern and contemporary art, by providing a unique opportunity for art to be received by a large and discerning -audience globally.
Targeted to be India’s largest fair for festival of modern and contemporary art, ART CHENNAI is aimed at bridging – gaps between the general public, art collectors, historians, curators, critics, art entrepreneurs and art investors.
Instituted in the cultural city of Chennai, ART CHENNAI is assured to be a milestone in the history of the city. The art festival will bring home a thriving population of global galleries and international artists who will view and appreciate the land of living legends and cultural heritage through the eyes of ART CHENNAI.
In 2011, ART CHENNAI launched its 1st edition with participation from over 15000 art enthusiasts. The 2nd edition slated to be held from March 11th-18th, 2012 will have a larger perspective and audience.
Launched in 2011, the 1st Edition of ART CHENNAI represented 28 art shows, over 300 artists, 15,000 visitors, 1 million listeners, 2 million viewers and 10 million readers spanning over 7 days in Chennai.
The 2nd edition slated to be held from the 11th of March till the 18th of March, 2012 promises to be bigger and undoubtedly a festival with the highest level of engagement with the larger art community in India providing an enriching experience to all art lovers globally.
Key Highlights of upcoming ART CHENNAI 2012
1. To Let the World In: Narrative and beyond in Contemporary Indian Art is a four-part project addressing the work of three generations of artists currently active in India. The project is being directed by Chaitanya Sambrani. The project involves four components:
a) A major exhibition featuring the work of 25-30 contemporary Indian artists. We are hoping to tour the exhibition to other venues in India and overseas during 2012-13.
b) 90-minute film about the work of the artists in the exhibition.
c) Seminar addressing themes relevant to the project (Chennai, 16th-18th March 2012) with presentations by art historians, curators, artists and gallery owners.
d) A book, which combines the fully illustrated exhibition catalogue with selected proceedings from the seminar.
2. Catastrophe: A public art project at Marina beach
3. Public Installations of large works of art by renowned artists
4. Chennai based galleries to host special previews of curated shows for ART CHENNAI guests
5. Exhibitions by invited Galleries from outside Chennai with VIP preview
6. Art Conference being curated by Chaitanya Sambrani which has 5 sessions:
a) Session 1: Narrative, art history and the world
b) Session 2: Narrative practices 1
c) Session 3: Narrative practices 2
d) Session 4: Curatorial Narratives
e) Session 5: Leaps of faith: Collectors’ narratives
7. Art Residency
8. Auction in aid of The Rotary Club of Chennai’s charity initiative
9. ART CHENNAI Select Internship Program for Students
10. ART CHENNAI Student Connect Program
11. Video Mapping conceptualized by Sameer Sethi